Click arrowheads to expand or collapse contents
Practical Nursing Program Certificate
Code: F_CER_NR4 Campus: Boulder County
The Boulder County Campus offers a Practical Nursing program that is designed to prepare students to function as practical nurses. Employment opportunities are found in numerous health care organizations. Graduates of this program receive a certificate in practical nursing and are eligible to apply for the National Council Licensing Examination, Practical Nursing NCLEX®-PN for licensure to practice as an LPN.
The program is designed for students whose primary goal is practical nursing. The practical nursing program is a one-year program of study. Students may elect a part time program of study to complete the practical nursing program. If graduates of this program wish to continue their education to the registered nurse level, the student must apply for the bridge program for LPN to ADN-RN program.
Information regarding admission to the Advanced Placement-Bridge Program at the Boulder County Campus may be obtained by calling the nursing department assistant at 303-678-3850 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the past, students have been placed on full-time and part-time program waitlists. The Practical Nursing Program is now piloting an admissions process to identify those students who are best prepared for the program and assist those who wish to be admitted by identifying general education areas in need of further skill improvement before entering the practical nursing courses. At this point, no further students will be placed on the waitlist. Students whose names are currently on the full-time and part-time program waitlists will remain on the list and will be offered admission as their names reach the top. However, the following points should be noted:
- Students who are currently on the waitlists must periodically reaffirm their intention to be admitted to the program and should make sure that mailing addresses and contact information are current.
- The first eight students on each waitlist will be offered admission to the next nursing cohorts.
- Four students will be chosen from each waitlist based on selective criteria (including scores on a nursing pre-admission exam). Students who are not selected will remain on the waitlist and will advance as others are admitted (if they do not remove themselves from the waitlist).
- Preadmission exam scores will be shared with applicants and advising will be available to assist them in identifying areas needing strengthening.
- For each cohort, the program intends to again offer admission to the first eight students on each waitlist; the other four students for each of the full-time and part-time waitlists will be chosen through a competitive process.
- When all waitlisted students have been served, the program will initiate a competitive admissions process similar to what is now being piloted: an analysis of the strengths of students who are applying, coupled with suggestions regarding how to improve in weaker areas.
Front Range Community College's Practical Nursing program is approved by the Colorado Board of Nursing and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc., 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326 www.acenursing.org